Printer Friendly Version
‘Run – Don’t Walk – to Join BI!’
10 Things You Should Know About … Barry Detloff of the Northern Lights (Wis.) Chapter
Barry Detloff’s been a member of BetterInvesting since spring 1997. Investment clubs were the rage in the 1990s, he says, and another club had started in his area about a year earlier that was a BetterInvesting club.
1. I’ve lived in Somerset, Wis., since August 1983.
2. I do medical research at the University of Minnesota.
3. My hobbies include genealogy, stamp collecting, outdoor activities and travels.
4. I enjoy visiting and teaching investment clubs and individuals.
5. My wife and I created a “bucket list” and enjoy crossing those items off once accomplished.
6. In my “next life” I’d enjoy being a storyteller.
7. My dream is to do well enough with my investing so that I can enjoy “first-class status” while taking some exotic vacation each year.
8. If someone gave me $1,000 to spend on someone or something besides myself, I’d donate it to our local parish school.
9. The best book I read last year was The Long Way Home by David Laskin. It’s a story of our ancestors leaving Europe and coming to America only to end up being drafted and sent back to Europe to fight in World War I. It was amazing to read about the aspirations people had coming to America, their struggles to create a new life and their fears of fighting against their own family members in Europe; and to learn more about how these brave men had the courage to “go over the top” in the trench warfare that was WWI.
10. The thing I like most about BI is the volunteers giving of their time to share their investment expertise. Run, don’t walk, to sign up for BI! My wife and I are able to go places and do things we might not have been able to do if not for BetterInvesting.
Angele McQuade is the author of two books, including Investment Clubs for Dummies. You can find her online at angelemcquade.com.